/>

January 16, 2018

The Post of False Promises and Lies | Books I Need to Read in 2018


Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by Rainy Days Ramblings. The topics are diverse and span from books and authors to blogging and the meaning of life (at least in regards to literature). If you want to share your thoughts on the prompt, feel free to make your own post too!

Every year, I make a list of "must-reads" for myself. Every year I end up forgetting about that list, reading whatever I want, and then chastising myself for not reading those books at the end of December.

However, this year I am determined to finally read these books (or at least some of them) since they have been on my TBR for about one eternity. 

Feel free to call me out on not reading these at the end of the year--I will probably deserve it.

This week's question is.....


What books or series that are languishing in your TBR are you finally going to try this year?




1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Considering that this book has been on the New Year Times bestseller list for 45 weeks with most of them in the number one spot, any amount of time this spent sitting in my TBR was too long. I should have read this book right on the release day, but I have not gotten my hands on an actual copy yet. Due to the fact that I have to borrow most of my books through my public library, I have been on the waiting list for THUG for weeks and weeks. The good news is that this diverse book that tackles tough issues has been requested by everyone in the library system. The bad news is that I think I am still at the bottom of the list.

2. Anything by Tamora Pierce

As a self-proclaimed fantasy addict, I am deeply disappointed in myself since I have never read ANYTHING by Tamora Pierce. She is the queen of old school fantasy, ruling the genre for decades, but I have never picked up any of her books. Part of the reason is that I don't know where to start. The other reason is that I am too scared of the hype and size of the books. However, I resolve to be brave this year and finally read a novel (hopefully an entire series) by Pierce this year.

3. Vicious by V. E. Schwab

If Pierce is the old school queen of fantasy, then I have to say that Schwab is the queen of contemporary fantasy. I have loved every single book that I have read by her, so I am still not quite sure why I haven't picked up this cult classic. Especially with a sequel coming out sometime in the future, I need to catch up on this series before I am left even more behind. Plus, I am always up for good morally ambiguous characters, especially those who vow to destroy each other.


4. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

I know this is a relevantly new book, but it has been on my TBR FOREVER, like ever since I finished reading TFIOS in 2013. Ever since I started hearing whispers of John Green writing another book, I have had a burning desire to read it. I don't care if John Green is "over-rated" or "too hyped," I am going to read this book and I am going to love it. I have never found John Green's writing cliche or overly sappy, but instead profound and memorable. Sometimes the characters aren't the most unique, but their adventures and stories have stuck with me throughout many years. Hopefully, Turtles will have the same impact.



5. Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Fun story: This is the first ebook I ever got on my Kindle. I got my Kindle for Christmas over three years ago. Obviously, I still have not read the book and it has been collecting digital dust in my Kindle shelves. However, if I don't read anything else this year, I swear that I will finally read Red Rising. I have heard that the series is amazing and all of the books are finally out (which used to be my excuse for not reading it, but that isn't valid anymore). 

6. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

I guess I don't read books from enough authors, but I have never read anything by Patrick Ness either. I once held a copy of A Monster Calls in my hands once, but that is about it. I haven't even seen the movie yet. The final offense is that I have an actual, physical copy of The Knife of Never Letting Go that is collecting actual dust on my bookshelf.

7. The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

I think it is understandable that I am intimidated by this book. I mean, it has 550 pages and seven books in the series. Those are high numbers with a lot of commitment, which I have not had a lot of time (or motivation) for recently. But, one of my main goals of 2018 is to be more motivated, so I might as well dive headfirst into this amazing (and dauntingly large) series.

8. Endings of all of the series by way too many authors

We all know that I never finish any series. I have separation issues and I don't like endings. I don't like saying goodbye to characters or their stories. Call me crazy, but I really bond with characters and I hate to see them go. However, it is time for me to put on my big girl panties and finally finish some series. Most notably, I want to finish The Raven Cycle, Shades of Magic, Crooked Kingdom, and Heroes of Olympus (yes, I am that behind). 
What books do you definitely want to read in 2018? Have you read any of these books? Please convince me to finally get myself into gear and read them! Have you ever procrastinated on reading a book? If so, which one and why? Please tell me that I am not the only bookworm who is afraid to finish series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment