/>

January 1, 2019

The Best Books I Read in 2018


I know that I say this every year, but 2018 was a difficult year. 

I only had four five-star books. In fact, a majority of the books I read were three stars or below. I am not sure if I was just heard to impress this year or if I was just extremely unlucky with my choice of TBR. Even though there is nothing wrong with three star books (for me the rating means that I liked the book without loving it), not many stories managed to WOW me this year. In the end of the year, when I finally had time to read, I hit a streak of three-star reads that wasn't necessarily a slump, but did disappoint me. 

The stats are not on my side, but that is where the complaining ends. My reading journey this year taught me that not every book will earn five stars, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't worth reading. 

Regardless of the ratings, I still managed to find books that I love and will scream about for the next year(s) to come. Out of the 50 books I read this year (which accomplished my Goodreads Challenge!) I still managed to have some favorites.

Since I loved all of these books so much, I have already written posts about most of them. Instead of trying to rearticulate my ramblings, I have included the links to my original posts if you want to learn more about them. 

Here are my top 10 books of 2018!




10. The graphic novels that motivated me to finish my reading challenge



Lumberjanes (Volumes 1-4) by Noelle Stevenson

9. The book (and movie) that revived my love for romantic contemporaries



P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
(To All the Boys I've Loved Before #2)

I read both books this year, but when push comes to shove I have to pick PSISLY.

8. The very popular novella I finally fell in love with



Every Heart A Doorway by Seanan McGuire



7. The underrated favorite



Nocturne by Kat Ross
The Fourth Talisman #1 (a continuation of her earlier The Fourth Element series)



6. Another popular book past its peak that I eventually loved



The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern



5. More proof that I love John Green



Turtles All the Way Down by John Green



4. The retelling that deserves more hype in the new year



Bring Me Their Hearts by Sara Wolf



3. The best fantasy standalone I have ever read



To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo

2. The sci-fi classic I cannot recommend enough



The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams



1. The debut that wrecked me and I screamed about all year



Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Disclosure: I am aware of the situation that Adeyemi was involved in on Twitter later in 2018. I read COBAB in the first half of the year. While I disagree with her assumption and approach to the issue (ie calling out on social media), I don't believe it is enough to disregard such an amazing and important book.


Top Ten Tuesday is a list-based bookish meme hosted every week by the amazing Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl.

What were your favorite books of 2018? Are any books from my list on yours as well? What books should I read in 2019 to get me out of my three-star slump?Also, I am super curious about your worst books of 2018. Which books fell on the other end of the spectrum for you this year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment