/>

May 11, 2013

Review | Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Picture courtesy of Goodreads
Clockwork Angel

Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Infernal Devices #1
Release Date: August 31, 2012
Pages: 479
Review by: Tessa




*Disclaimer* Nothing I can say will fully describe how amazing this book is. It is literally beyond words. 
       It's 1878 in London and everything is normal, Jessamine is walking in the park, Charlotte is writing letters, and Will and Jem are fighting demons. Yep. If any of you have read The Mortal Instruments you are already familiar with this world of angels and demons. But if you haven't read them I strongly suggest reading them first and then coming back to this review.
      Clockwork Angel is the same premise as TMI, demons are getting loose and someone has to fight them. Enter the Shadowhunters. They were chosen by the Angel himself to fight demons and deal with the drama that comes with them. Every one of them as markings on their bodies called runes. They signify different powers, such as healing, night vision, and strength. Shadowhunters are trained from a young age to fight demons because their job is so important. They protect not only other Shadowhunters, but also the whole mortal world from demons. Now, the plot. Tessa suddenly enters the Shadowhunters' lives when they rescue her from the Dark Sisters (I think their name explains who they are). Tessa turns out to be an important piece in a case that is puzzling the Shadowhunters. The quest begins to find who kidnapped Tessa and find out who she really is. While all this is going on, a mystery is unfolding when clockwork machines randomly appear to fight the Shadowhunters. Does this have anything to do with Tessa?


       I know that was a long blurb, but this is my namesake. Yep, my penname, Tessa Gray, comes from this book. Even though there are times I want to go back and slap myself, I love this book! You fall in love with the characters, Will, Tessa, Jem, Charlotte, Will, and WILL!!!  Clearly you can see which side of the love triangle I am on. The conflict, emotions, and characters draw you into this world, and never let you go. You will see many similarities between TMI and TID. Especially between Will and Jace. I personally favor Will over Jem, but I will let you pick your own favorite.
       Clockwork Angel had an amazing plot and the general themes of the story were enchanting, but the banter between the characters was my favorite part.

General banter-
“You know," Gabriel said, "there was a time I thought we could be friends, Will."
"There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't.”  


The thoughtful-
"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”  

My favorite-
“Remember when you tried to convince me to feed a poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?"
"They ate it too," Will reminisced. "Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.” 
 


      There it is, the best way to describe this book in three quotes: hilarious, thought-provoking, and unique. The second book is Clockwork Prince. The last book in this trilogy, Clockwork Princess, came out earlier this year. I won't give any spoilers, but just know that I was very happy with the ending.


                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment