/>

August 15, 2018

Sunshine Blogger Award

img_7194



Since summer is almost over and the dark descent of fall is coming shortly, I am going to hold on to every remnant of warm weather and sunshine that I can, starting with the Sunshine Blogger Award.

I would like to sincerely thank Susan @ Novel Lives for nominating me for this award. My procrastination with the posting does not do the honor justice, but I hope you know that I really appreciate your shout-out (and your wonderful blog!).


Rules


• Thank the blogger who nominated you by linking their blog. (Who is the super blogger Susan @ Novel Lives in case you need a refresher)
• Answer the questions.
• Nominate 11 blogs with 11 questions.
• List the rules as well as display the Sunshine Award Logo on your post. 
(I reserve the right to twist the rules a little bit).

Susan's Questions


1) Why do you blog? 
The answer to this question has changed over the years (as one would expect after blogging on and off for five years). When I started out, I wanted to have a project with my best friends that would bring us together while also fostering our love for books. 
However, I now run this blog alone and I needed to do a lot of thinking before becoming motivated again. Now, I blog not only for my real-life friends but for my wonderful lovelies in the bookish community. I am proud to say that I have made friends in the community and that they keep me going when I don't have any other reason. 

2) Where do you see your blogging in five years (where do you hope to see it)? 

I have already been blogging (albeit on and off) for five years. And honestly, I am just happy that I am still alive and kicking in the good ole book blogging community. If I can make it a decade, then I can die a happy book lover.

But for real, I hope to still be posting consistently and have interaction with other readers. I am not sure what form that will take (the Internet changes too quickly for predictions) but I know that I still want to be around. There might be a redesign in my future (and a slight, slight possibility of self/hosting) but survival is my main goal at the moment. 

3) What is the best part about the culture of blogging?
The people. Always the people.
I used to think that books were my one, true love, but I have discovered that book lovers (like, actual people) are pretty great too.

4) What is something you would like to change about the culture of blogging?

I don't know a lot about other niches of blogging, so my answers are only going to speak for the book blogging community. 
I personally hope that the book blogging community could open back up to reviews and discussion of backlist books instead of ARCs, or even emphasize reviews again. Even though I love discussion posts and tags (as I am writing one now), reviews were the main reason I started blogging and they seem to be fading out. I have the least engagement on reviews even though they are my favorite posts to write. 

5) If you could take the characters from any two series of books and bring them together for an all-star series co-written by the authors of each series, which two series/authors would it be?

I would love to see a combination of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and To Kill A Kingdom by Alexandra Christo. Even though these books seem like they have nothing in common, I think the contrast in styles would create an amazingly unique story. I love the romance in both novels, so seeing two of my OTPs interact together would be great. Plus, I would love to see Christo's sassy and savage characters in more of a magical realism setting like in The Night Circus. Not to mention that both writers have fantastic styles and wit, which would only complement each other.
6) Of the series (or stand-alone books) we know are being adapted to the movies or TV, which are you most looking forward to seeing?
I haven't even read To All the Boys I've Loved Before, but I am super excited for the Netflix movie. The same goes for the TV series for Good Omens (originally a novel by Neil Gaiman). I haven't read the book, but David Tennant is starring as Crowley, so that is all the reason I need to watch the show.
As for an oldie but a goodie, I also need to watch The Darkest Minds movie. There hasn't been a ton of hype about it, but I loved the series so much and I cannot wait to see how the world translates to the big screen. 
(More cheating, but try and stop me)

7) What is a goal you have for yourself in the second half of the 2018 for your blog?

My main goals for this year are to read 50 books (which I am currently behind on according to Goodreads) and to increase my page views every month this year. While this may seem ambitious, I am looking for growth instead of instant success. If I can get one more page view in September than I did in August, then I will be happy with my progress.

8) What is a goal you set for yourself that you already accomplished in 2018?
My main goal for 2018 was to post more times than I did last year. I only posted 21 times last year, so most people would think that would be an easy goal. However, for me it was actually difficult. It took me until July to exceed those 21 posts, but I am still extremely proud of it. Over the past couple of years, my posts have been more and more infrequent, but I am on the upward curve now. Now, anything is growth instead of catching up.

9) What yet-to-be released book coming in 2018 are you most excited for?
I am really excited to read to read An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green. I love John Green's writing style and I am hoping that Hank's will be just as great (different, but still amazing). I love to listen to him talk in podcasts and Youtube videos, so I hope the book lives up to the voice he has created on the Internet.
To cheat a little bit (but I have claimed the right to), I am also really looking forward to The Lost Sisters by Holly Black, the novella releasing before The Wicked King. I hate to admit that The Cruel Prince did not fully live up to my expectations (read my full review to see why). However, one of my main problems--the absence of family, especially Taryn, could be amended through this story.

10) What book has been the biggest disappointment in 2018?
Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones
If you want to know all of the reasons I didn't like this romance masquerading as a fantasy, then see my review. But in short, there was too much lovey-dovey and angst and not enough action or magic.

11) What character(s) have taught you the most about yourself in the past year?
Zelie from Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi and Aza from Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
Even though these characters are extremely different, they are both strong character who succeed despite seemingly insurmountable odds. Zelie faces oppression from a prejudiced regime focused on eliminating her people, but finds hope in her newfound powers. Aza's conflict, mostly internal in the forms of anxiety and OCD, may be less physical but they are no less dangerous. She fights a battle against herself not necessarily to save the world, but to save herself which is sometimes just as brave.

12) What book have you reread the most in your life?

Secret Santa by Sabrina James

I have read it every Christmas since I got it as a gift as a middle schooler. My family strongly believes in Christmas and our traditions are no-nonsense. For me, Christmas doesn't feel like Christmas without cookies, non-stop holiday music, and this heart-warming (if a little cheesy) book. 

My Questions

1. What is your biggest piece of advice you would give to new bloggers?
2. To spread the sunshine love, who are three bloggers you admire?
3. If you were stuck on a deserted island with three fictional characters, who would they be and why?
4. What was the first book that really got you into reading?
5. What is your favorite genre?
6. What are some of your favorite songs? (This question is purely selfish--I need to update my playlist.)
7. If you could make everyone in the world read a single book, which one would it be and why?
8. Who is one of your auto-buy authors that you always buy books from?
9. What is your favorite dessert? (Yes, I was hungry when I wrote this.)
10. What plans do you have for your blog?
11. Shameless promo! What is your favorite blog post that you have written this year?
My Nominations


Cri @ Paperbacks and Pizza
Anyssa @ Booked Shelf
Noel @ Books with Noel

Your Turn!


What do you think about my answers to Susan's questions? Are you brave enough to answer any of my questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment