/>

December 2, 2012

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall


Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: Hex Hall #1
Release Date: March 2, 2010
Pages: 323
Review by: Tessa

 
       Welcome to the world of powerful (and not so powerful) witches, cute warlocks, vain faeries, shapeshifters (not the same as werewolves), vampires, and Sophie Mercer.
 
       Sophie Mercer is a witch with a problem controlling her powers. She uses her powers for good, but something always goes wrong. On her prom night, Sophie misuses her magic for the last time. The Council (a lot like it sounds) sends her to Hecate Hall, a juvie for Prodigium (all magical people). Sophie has a tough first day, which involves getting attacked by a werewolf, meeting a real live (maybe not so alive) vampire, and forming a crush on the unattainable, yet totally attractive warlock Archer. Not to mention that her new roommate is the only vampire at Hecate Hall (Hex Hall for short) and the most hated person there.




       Sophie learns that Hex Hall's past is not pretty, and neither is the campus. There is the mystery of the dead students that Sophie's roommate is blamed for. Sophie is tortured by a coven of dark witches, which just happens to be headed by Archer's girlfriend. Hate at first sight. Sophie must learn everything she can about Hex Hall, Prodigium, and herself to stop the madness at Hex Hall.

       I love this book! I give it four stars. There is only a few things I didn't like about the book, such as Archer's name. I would've liked something more modern. I also thought Sophie was a little immature, I mean she is supposed to be 16 and a savior of the school. Besides his name, I love Archer, and my opinion did not change anytime in the book (You will know what I mean when you read the book).

Hawkin's writing was amazing, especially the conversations.
 
For example:
"Of course the only words that I actually managed to yell at the werewolf as he ran at me were, 'BAD DOG!'
Then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught a flash of blue light on my left. Suddenly, the werewolf seemed to smack into an invisible wall just inches in front of me....
"You know," someone said off to my left, "I usually find a blocking spell to be a lot more effective than yelling 'Bad dog,' but maybe that's just me.”
  

And:
“Now, Sophia, would you care to tell me why you're here by the pond instead of reporting to your next class?"
"I'm experiencing some teenage angst, Mrs. Casnoff," I answered. "I need to, like, write in my journal or something.”
  

       Hex Hall managed to keep me on my toes, anxious for the next twist of the plot. The end surprised me, but I guess it was supposed to be obvious.


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment