/>

December 8, 2012

Matched by Ally Condie

Hi everybody!  Cassia here!  Ah, December.  The month of shopping and Christmas!  Just to let you all know, when I write a review, I write a summary of the book, then say what I thought about it in general and what I thought about the characters.  The summary, I wrote.  You won't find it anywhere else.  Just wanted to let you know so you don't get too confused.  Here's my review of Matched by Ally Condie.





Matched by Ally Condie

The Society is perfect.  There are only 100 songs, 100 poems, and 100 paintings.  Why should there be more?  Everyone is physically fit.  Those who choose to be Matched live wonderful, happy lives with the love of their life.  It doesn’t matter that they’ve never met them.  The Society is always right.  Everyone has 3 pills always on hand: green for calm, blue to survive, and red . . .well, nobody really knows what red does.  There is no cancer, or other diseases.  Everyone dies on their 80th birthday.

Cassia has never doubted the Society.  Why should she?  But when Cassia’s grandfather dies, and she meets a handsome boy named Ky, she’s not so sure how perfect the Society really is . .

In my mind there are two types of sci-fi: (1) The society is clearly wrong, sick, dystopian, etc., and (2) the society is dystopian, disguised as utopian (the people think it’s perfect when it’s horrible).  This book is the latter.  I’ve only read the first book so far, just to let you know.  This book has just about everything a good sci-fi has.  The only problem I found was that I really didn’t like Ally Condie’s writing style a lot, but that’s just me.  But she did create one of the best societies for a sci-fi that I’ve come across.

I really do like Cassia, hence my name on this blog.  In the beginning, you know that something’s wrong, you just don’t know what.  Cassia’s feeling the same way.  Cassia is also very likable, like I think all protagonists should be.  If you don’t like them, then what’s the point?  I mean, you have to put up with them for the whole book.  You might not think Cassia is very smart, but she really is.  I also like the type of decisions she makes.  Then you have Xander.  He is so sweet!  He’s Cassia’s best friend and somewhat love interest.  You also have Ky.  Ky is mysterious and has an uncertain past.  By the end of the book, you will know a lot more, so just give it time.

Overall, this book was really good, but I’m not a complete fan of Ally Condie’s writing style.  It isn’t bad, though!

Four stars!
Goodbye for now,
Cassia

No comments:

Post a Comment