/>

August 30, 2014

Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols

Biggest Flirts (Superlatives, #1)
Picture courtesy of Goodreads
Biggest Flirts

Author: Jennifer Echols
Series: Superlatives #1
Release Date: May 20th, 2014
Pages: 336
Review by: Tessa




Everyone in Florida knows Tia is a flirt. She goes to every party and never leaves alone. All she wants is a carefree senior year with no homework and a lot of hookups.

Will is the new guy from Minnesota. He's like a polar bear in the rain forest. It does not take long for him to figure out that being the new guy is worse than the Florida heat.

Tia is fine with her life until she meets the new kid, Will. His peculiar accent and charm labels him as her next target. But one night after a party changes everything. Tia does not want the restraints of being in a relationship, but Will does not get the message.
When Tia and Will are voted the Biggest Flirts in the senior class, neither of them are fine with it. The whole school is put into a gossip frenzy, especially Will's girlfriend. Can Tia and Will keep it casual or will they let their title ruin their fragile relationship?




This book was probably the most disappointing book that I read this summer. It was the opposite of what I was expecting. I wanted a realistic love story that made me laugh. This story is far from realistic and the only emotion I felt while reading was detachment. Normally, I get into a story and relate to the characters, but I had several problems trying to do this with Biggest Flirts.

First, Tia was a "perfect" main character. These kind of characters are one of my major pet peeves in books. These characters are smart, funny, athletic, attractive, etc. They are the perfect human being that everyone wants to be. Sure, Tia's life was not perfect, but her character was. She could cook, clean, make academics seem like a joke (I will elaborate on this later), play the drums, attract every guy within a ten mile radius, and she could make anyone laugh. For me, it is impossible to relate to these kind of characters. I am not flawless -- no one is. So why should fictional characters be portrayed in that way?

Second, everything serious was put on the back burner for most of the book. I love reading party scenes, witty conversations, and embarrassing moments, but they have to be balanced with actual substance. The serious parts felt forced to me and thrown into the story as breaks between the entertaining, but tiresome situation between Will and Tia. Also, academics were completely bashed in the book. Believe me when I say that you will not pass AP classes on sheer luck. WHICH IS WHAT TIA APPARENTLY DID! She also got a perfect score on the PSAT purely on natural talent. WHICH DOES NOT HAPPEN! I highly value academics in my life and seeing them degraded in this way made me consider leaving this book in my did-not-finish pile.

Third, everything was about Tia. I understand that she is the main character and all that, but secondary character development is a huge factor in any book. Tia's friends and family were often overlooked. I really wish Saywer had a bigger part in the story, or at least we got more of his back story. When I finished the book, I also realized that I do not really know that much about Will. When I finished this book I felt as if I did not know anything about the characters. There was not the usual closeness that I feel when I finish other books.

Maybe I am being unfair. In defense of the book, it did make me laugh. So, Echols did accomplish what she set out to do with this book. This book was not written to completely change the life of the reader. I was entertained, even though some parts of the book greatly annoyed me. So, I am rating this book three out of five stars. An average rating. That was all the book was to me--average. It was a standard YA contemporary.









2 comments:

  1. Great review, Tessa :)
    I think I might consider not reading this book because of those phrases "pass AP classes on sheer luck" and "perfect score on PSAT purely on natural talent"
    *glances at my huge piles of homework and practice books* Ahem, even if you're really smart, which I know some people are, that work does not do itself.... *feels urge to burn this book even though I don't own a copy*
    (sorry--I'm currently in high school, so stuff like APs are brought up every day, and to say someone passed from luck just annoyed me a lot, haha)

    And I totally agree, Mary Sues (overly perfect characters) are never, ever a good idea to have in a story, especially as the main character. We all know they're unrealistic, and it rings more "author writing a daydream of what her life could be like" than "relatable contemporary novel."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that someone agrees with me! One of the major reasons that I read is to relate to the characters. I spend like three hours every night on homework, but most characters do nothing and still manage to pass with flying colors. I think that in books (especially in contemporaries) there should be more of a focus on school.

      Delete