/>

November 17, 2014

BookBlogWriMo | Our Favorite Book Tropes


Welcome to Day 17 of BookBlogWriMo!

Just for a little background on today's topic, a trope (as defined by dictionary.com) is any literary or rhetorical device, as metaphor, metonymy, synecdoche, and irony, that consists in the use of words in otherthan their literal sense.

Today's topic is...


Our Favorite Book Tropes

Max
(who, by the way, thinks LEAST favorite tropes would be waaaay easier to come up with)


'You're actually a long-lost princess' sort of situation, because a girl can dream, right?
Similarly, time travel
The hilarious and cocky friend/sidekick (I'm thinking Captain Thorne from the Cinder Chronicles, or Nikolai from The Grisha trilogy) 


Tessa

Spies and anything that involves the FBI. I have always secretly wanted to be a spy. I just finished reading The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, and I desperately want to be a crime fighter like Cassie.
Star-crossed lovers. This is probably the oldest one in the book, but I only like it when it is done right, and not in an obvious way. Like Annabeth and Percy from The Percy Jackson series. Technically, they were not supposed to be together because his father is Poseidon and her mother is Athena. I also think that it can be so romantic when couples overcome ridiculous odds to be together. So, call me a sap, I do not care.
The epic summer. I really love books when one summer can change your life, like Just One Day by Gayle Forman. Again, the hopeless romantic in me is revealed. I do believe that one summer, even one day, can completely alter your life. I especially love the ones where there is some kind of road trip or journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment